NOTE: I’ll be adding things to this list with time. And try to keep it in the top of the post, so can read if there’s something new.
I’m am not the most traveler guy you’ll meet, and it’s very easy to see, but anyways, I’m going to give you some advice people told me, and someones that i learn in my own way…
Let’s make this into some parts. This way I think I’ll be easier to know where you are standing and how close (and ready) you are to make the trip, and make the best of it!
This are some general tips.
- The best advise anyone can give you, if you are planning to travel, or traveling is… TALK TO PEOPLE! Don’t miss a chance to talk to some one local or traveler. You’ll never know when or where you’ll find some one awesome or that can give you the best advice of where to stay, go, eat. It doesn’t matter if you don’t speak his/her language or he/she yours, try it anyways!!
- Study English. When you’re young seems like a pain in ass, but later you’ll realize that’s the best investment you can make. Almost everywhere you’ll find some one who speak English…
- Learn some word/phrases in the local language. It doesn’t matter where you decided to go. you can find something on the internet before you start your travel. Don’t be lazy!
- Don’t drink tap water!! Don’t use ice cubes!!(for the same reason! You don’t know how is going to affect your stomach, and the last thing you want, is to spend your days in bed, or worse, in some hospital bed (besides, this can cost you A LOT OF MONEY! in some places)
* Plan your expenses. you need to know how much are you going to spend in your trip, and how many days are you going to travel. To this, you should add like a 5 or 10% of money for “just in case” situations. Best math you can do is: amount of $/ amount of days and try to stick to it!!
* Make the first reservation before you start your travel. I shouldn’t say ALL the reservation, because you don’t know if you are going to like the place, and want to move to your next destination sooner, or stay longer…
* If you are planning to stay longer than 15 days, I recommend you to get a SIM card. This way you’ll be communicated with your family, or friends. Also you need a “free cellphone” If you are planning to travel for a long time, you should get one!
- Scan all the papers you have, might need for your travel (in doubt, scan it!) it’s better not to need it and have it, rather than need it and don’t have it. This means air plane tickets, medical insurance, passport, ID, driving licence, credit cards, bank account numbers, hostel reservations, phone number of family or people who knows you. If you are taking some medicines, the name of the drug, how to take it, anything that some one might ask you, and send it to your email address. If you are traveling with a friend, send it to his/her email address too. So both of you have the information. It’s a practical thing if something happen.
- If you are a woman, right now, there’s some places that you should avoid (this is a personal opinion, just that) like India, some countries in middle East, and some countries in Central and South america. But if you are planning to visit it anyways HERE’S a link that recommend to read.
I hope this make you feel more secure about traveling. I can say that there’s no experience like traveling. Every step you make, is something new that you discover. No matter which place you decide to go, you wont regret!